Name: Julie M. Hau
What is your favorite part about being a career development professional? Work helps people find meaning in their lives, whether it be though actualizing a passion or helping their family survive and thrive or both. Supporting people in their meaning making process is a true joy.
What is your specialty within the career development profession? I work as a content manager for CareerLocker. This includes contributing to the content on the website, as well as content for other sources. For instance, I am currently working on professional development activities on Academic and Career Planning (ACP) for the Department of Public Instruction (DPI).
Favorite piece of technology: Anything by Apple, iMac, MacBook Air, iPhone and iPad.
Favorite career development resource: Theory is my favorite, so Sharf’s Applying Career Development Theory to Counseling and Swanson and Fouad’s Career Theory and Practice. The Psychology of Working by David Blustein is also an amazing testament to our need as a profession to include all people and all types of work in our understanding of the meaning and role of work in people’s lives.
Advice you have for fellow career development practitioners: Hearing clients’ truths are powerful. Sharing the moment when they realize a truth, beautiful.
Advice you have for students/clients: Hearing your truth is powerful. Sharing that truth with others keeps you accountable.
The Metaphors clients make up on their own.
Favorites: How can I pick just one? There is a joke about me, that I have a lot of favorites. “I could no sooner choose a favorite star in the heavens” (from Ever After: A Cinderella Story, 1998).
Movies: Star Wars and Good Will Hunting
Musicals: The Color Purple and Wicked
Books: The Land Remembers by Ben Logan, The Color Purple by Alice Walker and always Harry Potter by R. K. Rowling
Colors: Pink and Purple
Songs: Hands by Jewel and Somewhere Over the Rainbow by Israel “Iz” Kamakawiwo’ole
Foods: Curry Squash with Chicken and Taco Salad
TV Shows: Friends and American Ninja Warriors
Games: Farkle and Sheepshead
Hobbies: Spending time with family and friends and working out
Favorite Quotes: “I don’t know if I’ve been changed for the better, but because I knew you, I have been changed for good” —from the musical Wicked and “I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you make them feel” —Maya Angelou.
What type of technology do you use? Isn’t all of life and everything technology. Even the trees have a divine purpose and plan.
What type of social media do you use? Facebook and LinkedIn
Tell us one skill that you can teach to others? I have so many things to teach and so much to learn. So I can teach something and nothing, as “when the student is ready the teacher appears” (to the best of my knowledge and the internet: this quote is Zen, Buddhist, and/or Theospherical).
Position Title: Content Manager, Senior Outreach Specialist
Employer: Center on Education and Work at the University of Wisconsin-Madison
B.A. Psychology and English, University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire
M.S. Counseling, University of Wisconsin-Madison
Ph.D. Counseling Psychology, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Upcoming Event: Strengths Workshop - February 23, 2017
- NCDA Recorded Webinar: Maximize Your Strengths - February 12, 2017
- WCDA Member Spotlight: April McHugh - February 6, 2017
- SAVE THE DATE: Strengths Workshop - January 19, 2017
- WCDA Member Spotlight: Sheri Eisch - January 12, 2017
- 2016 CDF Scholarship Recipient: Debbie Schmidt - December 28, 2016
- WCDA Member Spotlight: Abby Lemke - October 27, 2016
- Brief Video: Job Search Using Facebook - October 22, 2016
- Brief Video: 3 Keys to Job Search Success - October 22, 2016
- Photos from the WCDA Conference held on October 21, 2016 - October 21, 2016
- Become a CDF - October 19, 2016
- $500 CDF Scholarship - October 19, 2016
- WCDA Member Spotlight: Susan Guarneri - October 19, 2016
- WCDA Member Spotlight: Dr. Julie Hau - October 19, 2016
- WCDA Member Spotlight: Jason Brown - October 19, 2016
- WCDA Member Spotlight: John Pritchett - October 19, 2016
- WCDA Member Spotlight: Abby Brendemuehl - October 19, 2016
- Photos from the WCDA Conference held on May 20, 2016 - May 20, 2016
- Photos from the WCDA Conference held on October 30, 2015 - October 30, 2015
- Photos from the WCDA Conference held on May 29, 2015 - May 29, 2015